Next month I will be turning 16, an age that has been romanticised by adolescents all over the world since time began but before another year begins I would like to reflect on some of the things I've learnt being fifteen.
1. Don't expect anyone or let anyone to tell you who you are at any given point in your life because they are not you. We are all constantly changing and the you you were yesterday may not necessarily be the you you are today or the you you'll be tommorrow. Who you are is never set in stone.
2. Music snobbery is the worst and doesn't make you seem cultured or cool and liking pop music doesn't make you a vapid individual.
3. The future isn't something that needs to be worried about so much likewise for the past. Overthinking the last two things can make the precious moments of present be missed. A quote which captures this perfectly says "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans".
4. Saying 'no' to things does not need to be followed by an essay length explanation as to why you are saying no.
5. You are only as beautiful, pretty, handsome as you think you are, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
6. Most things eventually come to an end so instead of picking out the things you hate about a particular point in your life instead focus on the good parts. One day those moments will just be memories and there would be nothing better than to look back and say you had no regrets about how you chose to look at certain situations.
7. Doing things on your own can be empowering.
8. Feminism is not unnecessary entitlement and feminism is not a dirty word. When people have the right facts, feminism aims for equality amongst the sexes regardless of race, sexuality, class, etc.
9. Men can be feminists too!
10. Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
11. Messy spaces really do affect your mood, if you want to feel somewhat happier maybe just tidy up.
12. You should feel free to wear whatever you want without caring what others think - if you like it wear it.
13. Spending money for no good reason can never be justified.
14. Sometimes all people need is for you to listen to them.
15. Assuming that everyone else isn't going through stuff and are happy 24/7 isn't realistic. It is important to realise that everyone has a life just as complex and crazy as yours.
This year has been filled with so much worry for me and unsureness about myself so I hope to make an active effort in my sixteenth year on this planet really make every moment count.
I hope you are all having a lovely friday!
Listening to: Flaws - Bastille, Something - Cyn